And then I woke up

I’ve been feeling relatively good lately. A couple supplement changes have resulted in more energy, and the recent break in heat and humidity have allowed me to go outside, which greatly helps my mental and emotional outlooks. It’s been really fantastic.

That’s why I was so happy yesterday. I managed to go to a potluck picnic. It was cool enough that I felt ok being outside despite the humidity. I spent time with friends. I laughed and had fun. I was there for 3 hours, which felt like a long time. I wanted to see another friend afterwards but I was tired, so I went home and watched a movie. All in all, it was a great day and I was happy.

Then I woke up this morning and I felt lousy. My throat hurt, a sure sign that my thyroid was acting up, and I had that run down-dragged out feeling. I had gotten up to go to the bathroom around 5am, and that’s when my throat first started to hurt. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the lack of sleep, but my body wasn’t happy. When I woke up at 9:30, late even by my standards, it was worse. I wanted to go back to sleep. I just felt miserable.

I knew immediately that I’d be skipping the brunch I had been looking forward to attending. It was already late, I definitely didn’t feel up to rushing, or even moving at a medium speed. Plus, it would involve talking to a lot of people I don’t know, which would mean acting like I felt ok even though I didn’t. No way I’d be doing that. And then I though about my afternoon plans. I’d been feeling so good lately that I ambitiously made plans to do two things in one day. So much for that. I just hoped I could keep the afternoon plans! And what about my plans for tomorrow? That’s something I’ve really been looking forward to for a while, so I hope I don’t have to cancel! And later this week I’m supposed to do something with a friend, it’s our one and only chance, so if I cancel, we won’t be able to reschedule.

And then I took a step back. Yes, I feel horrible today. Yes, I could be getting sick and I could spend the next week in bed. But it’s also possible that this is a short-term reaction to something and that I’ll feel better tomorrow. Who knows? That’s one of the annoying-as-hell aspects to these kinds of illnesses: they’re entirely unpredictable.

So for now I’m waiting and hoping. I still haven’t decided if I’ll see my friends this afternoon, even though I’d have to leave my house in just 2 hours. They’ll understand if I can’t make it. I’m definitely skipping the brunch today. And I can decide on everything else later. I just wish I could go back and change that feeling I had when I woke up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: