I ask this in all seriousness: why are people risking their lives for haircuts?
If you live in another country, you might not know what I’m talking about. Here in the U.S., businesses are opening up again. In many states, hair salons have opened, and people are flocking to them. In my state of Massachusetts, that is happening this week. Even though hair salons pose a higher risk than many other businesses, they are among the first to open because of public demand. Reopening is happening based on politics, not science.
I can’t understand why people are running for haircuts. They celebrate on social media, “Yay, I booked an appointment!” I don’t get it.
To be fair, I have never been as fashion-conscious as most. Still, I would love to get my haircut. I just don’t think it’s worth risking my life or the lives of those with whom I come into contact. Why are people acting like it’s so urgent? Why not wait?
Obviously, I would love to go out. If it were safe to do so, here’s what I would love to do, in order of preference:
- Hug my parents.
- See my physical therapist.
- See my occupational therapist.
- Get some needed blood work.
- Visit with close friends.
- Take a walk without worrying about being too close to people.
- Pet every dog I see.
- Buy my own groceries (especially so that I can manage my food restrictions better.)
- Visit with my parents. Yup, they definitely deserve to be on this list twice.
- Travel. Preferably to someplace on the ocean. (Even if it were only an hour away.)
Getting a haircut isn’t in my top 10. I doubt it’s even in my top 20. Yes, I’d love to get my hair cut, and if it were safe, I would probably plan to do it in the coming weeks, but it’s far from a top priority. So I just don’t understand the obsession. I’m sure that some people feel that it’s safe (at lease for them.) But what about everyone else? Can you explain it to me, because I would really love to understand.
Meanwhile, have you thought about your top 10 priorities for when those things become safe? Or even your top 5 or top 3? Please share as many as you feel comfortable sharing!