All I want is a banana!

The title of this article isn’t a euphemism. I mean, I’d like sex too, but right now, I’d just really like to get my hands on a banana.

Within 2 blocks of my apartment building there are at least 4 places where I can buy bananas. Groceries, pharmacies, and convenience stores all them, so they’re easy to find. Unfortunately, these days they aren’t easy to get to. Thanks to pain in my toes, walking is really difficult. I’m managing to get to and from the bathroom, kitchen, and living room in my fairly small apartment, but it still hurts. Walking all the way down the hall, down the stairs (or standing in the elevator), down the walkway, and to my car is a horrible experience, and that’s before I even go anyplace. I keep thinking I’ll drive to the grocery store, but getting to the car feels too hard right now, never mind actually walking through the store. And the truth is, I’m not able to stand long enough to cook, anyway, so I’m just eating a lot of leftovers from my freezer these days.

The thing is, I want to make a fruit smoothie. And I want to put a banana in that smoothie. I have the rest of the fruit in the freezer, but I need fresh bananas. On a good day, this is easy. I pick up bananas while I’m at the grocery store, or I walk down the street to pick them up. But when walking is impossible, then even a banana is beyond reach.

There are a lot of place I’d like to go this week. I’d like to get to the library, visit a sick relative, and run some errands. But the banana is my measuring stick. If I can’t even manage to get a banana then I know I can’t manage the other things.

So as frustrating as it is, I am staying home. I am sitting and keeping my feet off the floor. And I’m eating oatmeal instead of a smoothie. But one day soon, I hope, I’ll get that banana.

Advertisements

8 Responses to All I want is a banana!

1. lisaeck741 says:

Do you get Amazon Fresh in your ‘hood?

Sent from my iPhone

2. Karen J says:

There’s always “Does a neighbor have a spare banana?”, too.
    Hugs for your tootsies…

3. Tamara Epps says:

Sorry to hear you’re in so much pain at the moment. While this won’t help this time round, you can freeze bananas (I freeze them just as they start to go bad) and in fact this makes the smoothies they are added to a little creamier.

• chronicrants says:

Ugh, I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks very much Tamara! I’ll definitely do that for next time. And it’s a good idea anyway, because bananas really don’t last very long, do they? How do you freeze them? Do you peel them first?

• Tamara Epps says:

You can freeze it any way you like. Personally I just bung them in the freezer as they are, but I know others prefer to take the skin off first. Also, sometimes it’s best to chop it, especially if you’re going to use it in a smoothie, as it’s probably easier to do before it’s frozen!

4. Mario says:

The frozen banana trick really works- try it! I actually have a quick question about dealing with pain. If you could, please email me when you can. Thanks!