My guess is that most, maybe all, people have anxiety dreams. Everyone’s are different, based on what’s happening in their lives. When I was in school, I’d dream about not turning in a research paper on time and similar things. Well, when you’re constantly sick, I guess it makes sense to dream about health-related things.
I’m thinking that I’m not the only one who has health-related anxiety dreams. If you have them too, please mention them in the comments. It’s nice to know we’re not alone!
I’ve had so many health-related anxiety dreams, it’s hard to remember them all. Here are just a few that I’ve had recently.
- I dreamed that my doctors got mad at me for having my thyroid problems treated by a primary care physician (PCP) who’s not my PCP. In real life that’s what I’m doing, and it’s not ideal. My PCP is ok with it at the moment, but I do worry he’ll change his mind. But in real life, my doctors haven’t gotten mad at me because of it!
- I dreamed I accidentally ate gluten and got really sick from it.
- I dreamed that I was in a lot of pain. When I woke up, I really was in pain.
- I dreamed that I borrowed my friend’s vaporizer and used her pot to help my pain. In real life, I borrowed her vaporizer and got pot from her yesterday, but I haven’t tried them yet. I know my subconscious is as anxious as the rest of me to see if it will help.
- I dreamed that I got much sicker.
- I dreamed that I got much better. (Ok, this one isn’t about anxiety, I admit it.)
- I dreamed many times about confrontations with various doctors about various things. In reality I’ve had many confrontations, but none as serious as what I’ve dreamed about.
When I was healthy I’d have anxiety dreams too. But somehow these feel worse. They aren’t about a temporary situation or about something I can change. It’s frustrating, but I guess it’s good that my subconscious is finding a way to deal with it.
What are some of your anxiety dreams?