Making the rest of the world wait

The past week has been really stressful, both emotionally and physically. That’s why I’m typing this at 1pm in my pajamas. I’m not talking about the clothes I wear to lounge around the apartment, but the ones I slept in last night. I have not showered or brushed my teeth. I have no had lunch. I have not gone grocery shopping, visited my grandfather, or run the errands that I planned to run today. And I won’t.

Some things can’t wait. That’s true. I have to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. It doesn’t have to happen today, but it can’t wait forever. Maybe you have to get to the mailbox with your rent check or cook a meal. But there are so many things that we think must happen today and the truth is that the world won’t care if we put them off for a few days. For me, those things are the ones I just listed. Yes, I want to do all of those things. Sooner or later they all have to happen. I planned to do them today, but waiting is ok, too.

I’m putting my health first. I feel lousy. I spent all day yesterday at home and resting. That helped a lot! I had hoped that one day would be enough, but it wasn’t. And that’s ok. I mean, I’m not happy about it and it sucks, but it’s ok. It’s not the end of the world. It’s not the end of my world. I will spend another day at home, resting. If I have to cancel tomorrow’s plans to rest more or to do today’s errands, then so be it.

I’m putting my health first, and I know that’s the right decision. Everything else can wait. No one will mind and in the grand scheme of things, it just won’t matter.

Advertisements

9 Responses to Making the rest of the world wait

1. Jess says:

Good for you! Putting your needs first is important and vital. I should do it 😉

• chronicrants says:

Go for it! And let me know how it goes (I bet it’ll feel great!)

• Jess says:

I sometimes beg my MIL to take my older son to the bus stop, or my neighbour to watch my younger son when I do it because taking both of them is extremely painful and exhausting, but it can’t happen all the time because I get worried that I’m asking for too much, you know? But on really really bad pain days I ignore the laundry and do simple meals for dinner.

What I need & so desperately want is a couple days to recoup in my bed lol. I think I’ll get that when they’re teens 😛

• chronicrants says:

Maybe getting a couple days to recoup should be your next Christmas, birthday, or whatever gift. Send the family off somewhere and you stay home 🙂

But as for the morning routine, why not sit down with your MIL and with your neighbor and say how much you appreciate their help, and you hope you haven’t imposed too much. Then say you’d love to get a little more help, but you don’t want to ask for too much, and make it clear you really do want to have an honest discussion about boundaries. My guess is that most people would be open to this. See if each can help out just a bit more, and suggest doing it as a trial for 2 weeks (or some other length of time.) At the end of that time you can check in with them again and if it’s too much for them, they can easily tell you and you can adjust. If it’s not too much for them, you can continue without guilt.

Also, to help ease the guilt, is there any way you can help them that wouldn’t be painful or tiring? What skills do you have? Can you offer advice? Mend clothes? Research stuff for them online? Teach them how to do something they want to do (computer stuff, knitting, painting, etc.)? Can you help with their taxes? Help them redecorate a room in their homes? You don’t have to give them an equal amount of hours, just be helpful in some way so that the relationship feels more balanced.

Good luck!! And I’m glad to hear you have such helpful people in your life!

2. Megan S says:

Putting health first is very important!

3. samanthatimms1 says:

Exactly, this what I tell myself at those times that you just described. Its learning to being positive instead of negative when you can’t do those things and you have to a make them wait. Really could relate here to what you just wrote about. Thank you

4. I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you
    did, the internet will be a lot more useful than evera before.
    michael kors handbags outlet