I’d like to see a functional medicine doctor*. It sounds simple, but that sentence has complexities beneath the surface.
If I said I’d like to see an eye doctor, it would be easier: I would make an appointment with one of the dozens of eye doctors in my area who take Medicare and MassHealth. I would get my eyes checked and my insurance would pay the bill. Simple.
Of course, not every doctor takes insurance. Well, maybe I shouldn’t say “of course,” because a few years ago I just assumed they all did. And now, I’m surprised when a friend questions me. “What do you mean they don’t take insurance? Don’t all doctors take insurance?” Um, no, they don’t actually. Still, even if one rheumatologist doesn’t take insurance, another one will. The ones with the focus I want might not take insurance, so I might still be stuck, but it will be in a different way.
You would think it would be that way with every specialty, but it’s really not. When it comes to functional medicine, the entire specialty seems to be out of reach. I found several functional medicine doctors in my area who are highly recommended. Some don’t take any insurance. Others take a few select types of insurance. Most don’t take Medicare. One takes Medicare, but not MassHealth, and he works for a concierge service that charges an additional $365 per year. Medicare would cover 80% of the bill, but without MassHealth, I would have to pay the other 20%. That could easily be $150 per visit. On top of that I’d have to pay the $365 per year. And many of his tests aren’t covered by insurance, so I would have to pay for those, too.
Hanging out with a bunch of other people with chronic illness and chronic pain this week, I asked if anyone knew of a functional medicine doctor around here that take both Medicare and MassHealth. someone immediately responded, “You’re too poor to see that kind of doctor.” Normally I would try to argue with her, but this time, I’m afraid she might be right. I just can’t seem to find a functional medicine doctor who takes my insurance and without that, how can I afford to go?
I’ve gotten my medical expenses down. Thanks to a relatively low insurance premium and almost no copays, I’m paying only $500 or so every month. Of course, that includes visits to my naturopath, who isn’t covered by insurance at all. If I went to a functional medicine doctor it would have to be instead of my naturopath, and I’m not willing to make that tradeoff right now. Yes, a functional medicine doctor could order tests that a naturopath can not in my state. But I have a good relationship with my naturopath. I trust her. I’m not willing to throw that away to take a chance on someone new right now.
So once again, I see money (or a lack thereof) throwing up a roadblock in my journey to recovery. And once again, I remember how incredibly lucky I am to be able to pay for a naturopath right now. I know that many, many others are not so fortunate. Still, it’s so frustrating to see so many potentially helpful doctors who are just a different form of insurance away.
*If you don’t know what a functional medicine doctor is, check it out. I haven’t seen one myself, obviously, but I’ve heard good things.
If you’ve seen a functional medicine doctor, what has your experience been? What kind of medical care has been restricted by your lack of funds? And if you know of a functional medicine doctor in the Boston area who takes Medicare and MassHealth, please let me know!!!